Reports are coming in from the Vatican that the Pope has just been read his last rites after suffering for the last few hours with low blood pressure and a fever. The Vatican are reporting that he won’t be taken back to hospital. More details will be published here as they come to hand.
Update - mainstream media is now also reporting this story. Check out more at CNN:
‘ Pope John Paul II was given the last rites of the Roman Catholic Church late Thursday night as his health deteriorated, a Vatican source has told CNN.
The sacrament does not necessarily mean that the pope is dying. Last rites — also known as the sacrament of anointing the sick — are commonly given to people who are seriously ill as well. The pope received the sacrament after he was shot by a would-be assassin in 1981.
The pope is suffering from a high fever caused by a urinary tract infection, the Vatican confirmed earlier Thursday — one day after revealing he had been put on a nasal feeding tube for nutrition.
The pope is taking antibiotics, a Vatican spokesman said.’
More reports on this latest development can be found at:
- Pope given last rites: report
- Frail pope John Paul II receives ‘Last Rites
- Pope Given Last Rites - Media Report
- Pope receives sacrament of the sick: report
- Papal center’s spiral costly
- Pope to visit Britain next year
- John Paul’s sainthood centers on young nun
- Priest probes possible miracle in John Paul II saint case
- Pope Benedict chooses 15 new cardinals, and two are from U.S.
- Pope to name new Cardinals soon
- Pope urges caution on new converts to French Catholic group
- Ex-Vatican priest returns to Canada to face child sex charges
- Vatican Calls Turkey Trip a Critical Test
- First Lady Discusses Terrorism With Pope